Quick Low GI Chicken Chili
One of my favorite low GI recipes is this Chicken Chili. Chicken, beans, and healthy fats are all good for an even release of sugar into your bloodstream. I use the crock pot for this one and it is quick and easy to make. I think you will be stunned by how great it tastes. And yes- it is very healthy! If you are not a fan of Monterey Jack cheese you can substitute another type that you prefer. Reduced or nonfat cheese would also lower the calories if you are counting those. And if you prefer beef to chicken make sure it is lean beef!
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 6 hrs
Yields: 6 servings
Nutritional Facts (per 1-cup serving)
Calories: 249 Carbohydrates: 2 grams Cholesterol: 41 mg Fat: 2 g Fiber: 6.2 g Protein: 27 g Sodium: 373 mg Calcium: 156 mg GI: Very low
– 2 can navy or Great Northern beans, drained
– 1¼ cups unsalted chicken broth
– ½ cup chopped onion
– 4-ounces can chopped green chilies
– 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
– ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
– ¹⁄8 teaspoon ground white pepper
– 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
– ½ cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
– ½ cup nonfat or light sour cream
- Combine the beans, broth, onion, chilies, cumin, garlic, chicken, oregano, and white peppers in the crock pot. Be sure to add (slight) salt and pepper. Also add additional broth to the crock pot if it appears to be drying down.
- Leave to cook on low for 6 hours and the chili is ready to be served. Top each serving with cheese and sour cream.
If you are looking for more low GI recipes- this recipe is originally from The Good Carb Cookbook: Secrets of Eating Low on the Glycemic Index.